Thursday, January 15, 2009

Picture CANADA,almost a perfect LIFE.

“ I’ve always equated Canada to a picture of perfect life … and I wasn’t wrong.” Below is the story of Lani Domaloy, 38, Single and used to work as a Purchasing Officer prior to her departure for Canada. How CIC prepared me >From the time I lodged my application, excitement and anticipation have always been a part of me. When I received a notice from the embassy, I made an extra effort to prepare. I researched every possible thing I need. I prepared my itinerary. I even collated my friends’ and relatives’ addresses, in case that I needed help. Canadian Immigration Consultancy (CI), on the other hand also prepared me for the actual interview. I was given tips and pointers on how to nail my interview. CIC has guided me from the start – securing my documents, tips on trainings I need to amplify my skills and other things I need to prepare. CIC fed me with enough information to make my access to Canada real easy. Finally, when I faced the visa officer, I was able to apply all the things that CIC had given me. The interview was light. From thereon, I was rewarded with the ticket to make my life better: I was granted a permanent residence visa. A CIC friend helped me Through the help of a friend, a former CIC client, I was able to find a decent women’s residence at the heart of Toronto. Looking for the city’s major offices is not difficult at all. Toronto’s transportation system is very reliable. It gives a detailed orientation of the entire city with its major offices visible. On my first day, I went out to educate myself with the city’s transportation system. Armed with just a map and a pocketful of prayer, I located the office of the Human Resource Center of Canada to apply for my Social Insurance Number (SIN). The sooner I get a number, the sooner I’ll be able to land a job. On my third day, I went out to look for an immigrant serving organization. I came across Woodgreen Community Services. The programs they run helped me in building networks that could aid my job search. Woodgreen runs a lot of workshops. Computer classes, free use of the internet and familiarization of the city are just some of the things you they facilitate during orientation. These are free and funded through the right of landing fee (ROLF) paid by an immigrant before leaving the country. How I got a job I joined the job search workshop where employment related issues adapting to the Canadian standard are discussed. During this workshop, I met fellow immigrants from China, Iran, India, Pakistan, Romania and Russia. It was really exciting and fun! Woodgreen is a very efficient organization. They assign an individual employment counselor for each immigrant. My counselor helped me prepare my resume and interview as well. I got a job exactly 2 months and two days after stepping in Canada. After seven months, I resigned and transferred to a more stable company. With that, I pray to God to have a better shot, a better life. An advice to future immigrants --- should you wish to practice your profession in Canada, be ready to send your credentials to Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) for proper evaluation. Doing such thing means a lot as Canada slimly recognizes credentials outside the country. Seemingly, lobbyists are actively voicing out concerns to reform it. Life in a new, strange place is not easy especially for beginners. It takes a lot of determination, courage and preparation (emotionally, financially and psychologically), mixed with proper attitude. But the good thing employers like about Filipinos is our ability to be hardworking and resilient, notwithstanding, our ability to speak better English than our Asian counterparts. Canada hosts a lot of opportunities for immigrants. Its government takes care of its people delivering basic services down to its grassroots. No country is ever perfect but Canada opens doors to a lot of options, all one needs to do is jump in. Lani is just of the thousands of Filipinos that embarked on a better life in Canada. CANADIAN IMMIGRATION CONSULTANCY STUART DALY Senior Consultant Blk. 25 Unit 4, G/F Uniwide Coastal Mall Roxas Blvd. Parañaque City, 1700 Philippines Mobile: 0918-6947835 Direct Line: 879-0307 Fax: 879-0216 sdaly@go2canada.com

No comments:

Post a Comment